Monday, August 28, 2006

Race-Baiting Part 1

I noticed that in the Sunday Sun-Times, Carol Sleazebag, I mean Carol Slezakk, wrote what was probably the second or third article this week in implying that Cub fans were racist, quoting Dusty Baker, Don Baylor, and several African American players about racist mail and phone calls they received. It's interesting that they talk about the bad times, but they never mention all the times the stadium is full of fans wildly cheering when they do well. I wish these idiots would just realize that if they ever actually won a World Series, they will be the revered forever in Chicago. From time to time I look at several Cub message boards, not once have I ever seen any reference referred to Baker,Baylor, or any African American player negatively due to race. raise. I have however, seen more than a few messages posted questioning the masculinity of certain players, who in most cases, were Caucasian. Would that be a form of reverse racial discrimination, or perhaps sexual discrimination? Maybe Carol can write her next column about that, since her columns seem to be centered around either trashing the Cubs, glorifying the White Sox (OK, the first 2 things are easy marks lately, but she has a track record in this regard), or very shrillly griping about how women athletes are getting screwed over. I would think she should be offended about some of the terms used to describe Mark Prior. I have my own opinion of her, but decorum stops me from writing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home